Sunday, March 1, 2015

Reader's Choice Winner Weyerbacher Merry Monks



Weyerbacher Merry Monks Belgian Tripel Ale

So, without further ado the winner of the reader's choice post is Weyerbacher Merry Monks. Merry Monks won with a total of 7 votes second closest was Free Will Wit. Merry Monks is a Tripel Belgian Style Ale. The alcohol by volume is 9.3% which is strong for beer, kind of reminds you of drinking a wine. Weyerbacher used a pilsner malt and had three different hops into the beer they are Saaz, Fuggles, and Hallertuaer. Before you pour this beer make sure you do not pour it all out at once, will change the flavor of the beer, because there is sediment at the bottom of the bottle that you need to get into this beer. The stuff at the bottom is where the full flavor of the beer end up coming from, if you want to get it out of the bottom follow these steps. Make sure you pour out three quarters of the bottle and then swirl the remaining beer in the bottle until you see nothing left on the bottom. After that then you should pour the rest of the beer into the glass. Once you pour the ale it has a golden brown tint to the beer and is very cloudy cannot see through it. When going into smell the aroma from the beer sweet and banana smell to the beer. Tripel draws me in and entices me with the fruity aroma it knows me, so well. 



Golden Brown Cloudy complexion

Taking first sip, I get is a spicy yet fruity taste. The spicy taste that you get is from the Saaz style hops and the fruit taste you pick up is the banana and pear that was paired with this hop. I think that this is a good beer and if you are alright with strong beers then I suggest you try this. Merry Monks is an ale where you can only have a couple because of how strong it is. You are not going to be drinking this all day like you could a cider or the KCCO black lager. This tripel ale is not very bitter if you were afraid of trying this beer, the IBU of this ale is 15. 



Merry Monks make sure you go get this!!! 

When people ask me what style of beer I like I always tell them I am into Belgian style Ales and Merry Monks is one of the reasons why. I think tripel ales are great but they are for special occasions in my opinion, because of the ABV. Next beer I have from Weyerbacher will have to be there Quad. The thing I love about Weyerbacher is that its an hour from my house in Easton,PA so I think I am going to have to go pay them a visit and drink at the brewery,  If you need anymore information on Weyerbacher and their brewery go to their website http://www.weyerbacher.com/ 


1 comment: