Monday, March 30, 2015

Milk Stout


Left Hand Milk Stout 

Checking out this Stout recommendation from a co-worker. She is a fan of beer like myself and is into similar beers like myself. Now I have already had a stout, so far on this blog and it was by River Horse which was their Oatmeal Milk Stout. This beer I am trying tonight is a Milk Stout by Left Hand Brewing Company. Left Hand is located in Longmont, Colorado. An interesting quote on their about us page is that "Too much of any one activity leaves you missing out on another, always wondering if the other was better A healthy dose of all things in a balanced way keeps your right brain feeling good and the left brain knowing it’s all good" Striving for the perfect balance while also looking to see if there is a better way at doing stuff. Milk Stouts take the dark characteristics of the stout like the roasted character and adds a sweetness to the roast profile.  Sweetness is usually added by having large amounts of residual sugars or unfermented sugars in the beer. Left Hand Milk Stout has a ABV or alcohol by volume of 6.0% and the bitterness of 25 IBU's. 



Black Color to Milk Stout

While looking at this beer I can see nothing but black thick complexion to this stout. The head or foam has a brown tint to it and is almost like the Troegenator. The head is not thick but is clear at the top once the foam settled down after pouring this beer. Stout should usually be pour in to stout glasses, but not everyone has them and sometime you have to use what you have on hand. The aroma I am picking up from this beer is very intriguing. I am smelling a coffee smell to this beer and I kind of like it. I am also picking up the sweet malt characteristics from the malt they used in the stout. These aromas I am picking up make we want to dive in for a sip an taste the nectar from this beer. The first sip is a sweet taste that shows of the roast characteristics in the aftertaste. It is subtle but a great tasting beer. Usually stouts have a think body to them and that is what gets them a bad rap but this Milk Stout has a smooth body but a dark complexion. I think that anyone that like the River Horse Oatmeal Milk Stout would love this beer. I think while enjoying this beer you can pick up on the creamy note to this beer, which adds to the enjoyment of this beer because it makes this beer smooth and easy to drink.


Next time try a Left Hand Milk Stout 

  
I am not usually into stout styles of beers but between River Horse and Left Hand its making me think twice about giving stouts a chance. I might be adding more stouts into this blog just to see what style of stouts I like and which I do not. I look forward to trying stouts and I think that it might interest some of you to try stouts and give them a chance. The next stout that I should probably try is the Nitro Stout by Left Hand and see if that is worth the hype I have heard from other beer drinkers. I have to agree with Left Hand brewing on their description of this beer dark and delicious make you change your perception of what a stout is. I think this beer might be more like a black lager that is more on the side of the Stout unlike KCCO Black, which is more like the lager than a stout. 


No comments:

Post a Comment