Thursday, March 12, 2015

Impey Barbicane's Moon Gun

This beer is a collaboration between two breweries: Duclaw from Maryland and Cigar City from Florida. This beer got its name from a Jules Verne novel called From The Earth to the Moon. Cigar City came up from Tampa and joined Duclaw to make a sessionable Amber Ale during their collaboration. Moon Gun has an alcohol by volume of 5% and the IBU of 40. I came across this beer from someone that worked at a local distributor and I was told to try this beer. Amber Ales tend to not be my favorite styles of beer because they are usually like pale ales and IPA's in my opinion. 


Duclaw and Cigar City Session Amber Ale

The color of the beer is a brown and red mixture. When diving nose first to try to smell the aroma of the beer I smell a hint of caramel and an herbal smell. Examples of Amber ales out there are Troegs Nugget Nectar and Stone Brewing's Levitation Ale. Took this beer for a spin on the taste buds and the first taste I had was a bitter note from the hops, which then changed to an herbal taste. Moon Gun is definitely smooth tasting and could be enjoyed by someone who loves amber ales. Amber Ales usually range from 4.0 % to about 9% so this is on the lighter side of amber ales which allows people to be able to drink it all day. If I bought a six pack of this I would only be able to have one at a time because of the hop note in the beer to bitter for me but the beer is definitely drinkable unlike some beers with bigger notes of hops. 


Glimpse of Amber Ale and bottle 

I think that it is great that breweries are willing to collaborate to make different beers. They should be collaborating to try and reach different markets. If a brewery is from the south like Cigar City why not collaborate with a brewery in the north like Duclaw and try to explore a new market for your brewery, Only good things can happen if you create a good beer like this you open yourself up to a bigger client base and maybe expansion. I also think a beer like this if  I had enough I would be able to get into amber ales more because it would change my palate. I recommend if you want to expand your palate and your beer profile, I suggest you give this collaboration beer a try like I did. Thanks Chris for allowing me to try this beer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment