Sunday, March 15, 2015

UFO White


Harpoon UFO WHITE

UFO White stands for Harpoon's Unfiltered Offering. The UFO White is an American White Ale. The beer has a cloudy white color look to its appearance. Harpoon brewery is from Boston, Massachusetts. Breweries have been experimenting with unfiltered beers for a while now and this is an example of a unfiltered beer that has done very well. It is a particular style of beer that is unfiltered and most of the time is ales that are unfiltered. Most unfiltered beer usually has sediment at the bottom of the beer or yeast remaining in the bottle or kegs to give it a distinct appearance like this beer has with its hazy appearance. White has a alcohol by volume of 4.8%, which is on the lighter side of beer and allows you to be able to drink it all day if you wanted too. The bitterness units of this beer is 11 IBU, so it is not strong hop or bitterness to the beer. 

The aroma I picked up from this beer is orange and coriander. Coriander and I am not usually in agreement with each other in beers, but I wanted to try this beer because it was a wheat beer and it was unfiltered. Usually when you try a beer there are two ways you try it and one is by smell and the other is by taste. I am the first person to smell a beer and not try it like I did over the weekend, with Mikkeller Better Half. A friend was drinking that beer I smelled it and was not interested because I could smell hops in it and was not appealing to me. 


Unfiltered White Ale UFO WHITE

When trying this for the first taste I picked up an orange taste and had a smooth sweet taste to the beer. White is definitely a refreshing beer that can be enjoyed year round because of its smoothness. This unfiltered wheat beer is very different from most wheat beers, I would say that this beer is lighter than most wheat beers and reminds me of Ommegang Witte. UFO White is a really good beer and if you are interested in trying an unfiltered beer make sure you add this to your list. I think Harpoon did a phenomenal job creating this beer and trying to take drinkers away from Blue Moon the other popular wheat beer out there in the market. If these two beers were on tap at the same place I would probably pick the UFO White over Blue Moon Wheat Ale. All in all this is a very refreshing beer and I would like to try their other unfiltered beers in the UFO line like: Pumpkin, Raz, and Grapefruit.  


No comments:

Post a Comment