Sunday, March 29, 2015

Troegenator


TROEGENATOR Double Bock from Hershey

New beer I am trying out tonight is Troegenator by Troegs Brewing Company. Troegs is a local brew to the Lehigh Valley. They are based out of Hershey,PA land of chocolate. This brewery makes people think about other things than chocolate and more on beer. Troegenator is a double bock and has a alcohol by volume of 8.2% and the bitterness is rated at 25 IBU. A Double Bock is a strong German Lager and is twice as strong as a regular Bock. Double Bocks are also rich, dark, and have a high malt consistency. They tend to have a high level malt do to the brewing process, which enhances the malt flavors while it brews. I did not think that I would be in to dark beers a single day when I first started drinking beers, but now that I have had a few black lagers and dark beers, I can say enjoy them immensely. 


Deep Bronze color of Troegenator 

When pouring out Troegenator from the bottle there is one thing that you cannot help but notice. That is the deep bronze color or amber like color to this beer. The foam or head of the beer has brown tint to it and looks creamy and thick almost like a stout head. This Double Bock or Doppelbock as it would be called in Germany has a nice caramel smell to it, which is brought out through the malt brewed with this beer. The sweet aroma of the caramel shows that this beer has a malt character to this Doppelbock. Now to take a leap and try this beer before it runs away from me. 



Troegenator 8.2% Double Bock

Tasting this first sip I want to see how sweet or how high malt flavor I can pull out to see if I am a fan or not of that in a beer. I noticed that this beer is very smooth and does not leave a big aftertaste of the malt. I will say that this beer has a semi fruity taste to it and I like the combination of sweet and fruity in this beer. When this particular style of beer was first made by Monks they would fast without any solid foods so they would use this to act in lieu of food and would be called liquid bread. The more and more I drink this beer I begin to pick up on the chewy body that begins to make me like this beer more and more. Or it might be that its 8.2 % is catching up on me. Either way I think that this beer is a very good beer and beer drinkers like myself or the readers of this blog should give this Double Bock a shot.  Troegenator recently won a Gold Medal at the 2014 Great American Beer Festival. I think the receiving of the Gold medal shows that this is a good beer and that can be enjoy by many. The only note that I would leave you with on this beer, outside of going to go get a six pack, is that be careful when drinking this because of the 8.2 ABV, you will only really be able to have two at a time. 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment