Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Nooner Sierra Nevada


Nooner by Sierra Nevada Brewing Company

If you remember I have already had a pilsner on this blog and that was a Czech style pilsner. Nooner is a German style pilsner and the two different styles are very different from each other. When looking at a pilsner you are looking for a light body and golden color for both types of pilsners. A Czech style is known for the spicy Saaz hop in the beer, whereas the German style is more on the pale side and is drier with the addition of bitterness. Both styles are good in their own way if you are looking for that style of beer. Nooner gives me a chance to compare the two styles of pilsners and see which one I like better. Nooner has golden color to the beer and is crystal clear. The aroma of the beer I pick up is a floral aroma. 


Light Golden Body of Nooner

The alcohol by volume or ABV of Nooner is 5.2 % and the IBU or bitterness of this beer is 38, so little more bitter than I am used too. Nooner definitely has a floral and bitter taste to the beer, but it is actually drinkable. I can tell this is more like an IPA and I do not really mind it. I could see someone drinking a lot of these beers being interested in an India Pale Ale. This beer is like a baby step into the IPA beers gives the drinker the bitter and floral hint to an IPA without being too bitter like most IPA's. I can also tell that this beer is drier and hoppier than the piercing pils which was the Czech style pilsner. I would have to say out of the two style pilsners I think I enjoyed the Czech style more because of the fruit taste that was paired with spiced Saaz style hops. While drinking this I find that the floral and bitter taste has a lingering effect on my tastebuds. If you are looking for beers similar to Nooner than I think you should look at Victory Prima Pils, Stoudts Pils, and a local brew Pikeland Pils by Sly Fox. 


Nooner ABV 5.2 IBU 38 

Sierra Nevada Brewing Company is located in Chico, California and is known for good style beers like their Pale Ale and their seasonal Beer Camp Lager. They tend to stay on the hoppy side of beers but I think that their Nooner Pilsner is worth a try and do not reject it just because it might smell floral or bitter. Give beer a chance like I have beer and step outside your beer comfort zone. 
     


No comments:

Post a Comment