Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Stone Saison


Stone Saison by Stone Brewing Company 

I am trying a beer from a brewery I have never had before, but I know they are a very popular brewery. I have seen beers by them, like Stone Enjoy By and Stone Enjoy After, I also know that they collaborated with Wil Wheaton on a beer called Farking Wheaton Wootstout. I am interested in trying more brews from Stone Brewing Company. They are located in Escondido, California and were founded in 1996. They originally were located in San Marcos, CA, which is now known as Port Brewing Company/ The Lost Abbey is located.  Greg Koch and Steve Wagner were the Co-Founders and currently CEO/Brewmaster. The beer I am trying tonight is Stone Saison. Saison have a fruity and floral aroma with a mild tartness. Brewers used to use whatever they had at the farm and brewed this beer, which is also called a Farmhouse Ale.  Stone Saison has an alcohol by volume or ABV of 6% and an IBU of 35. With more and more breweries popping up, many have been creating a revival in this brew style with there own twist on it. 



Appearance of Stone Saison 

I have tried a lot of Saisons recently and I am interested in seeing what is behind this Saison from Stone Brewing Company. Aroma's of Saison's are sometimes all over the place because brewers used to use whatever they had available to brew this beer. I know Stone recently opened up Stone Farms in 2011, so I am curious to see their take on a Saison or Farmhouse Ale. I went in to take in the aroma of this beer and I was intrigued in to wanting to dive further into the brew. The aroma starts of with a Belgian Yeast aroma and then is followed by a citrus/floral aroma. The citrus is a lemon peel or lemon zest aroma and I cannot pinpoint the floral aroma.  The appearance of the Saison is a hazy golden color. I can definitely notice the carbonation in the beer with all the bubbles rising and creating a nice thick foam or head of the beer. 

Taste of the Saisons usually have a spice note as you are finishing up your sip. In addition, you can also notice a citrus taste note that pairs with the spice note in Saisons. Now time to see Stone Saisons taste. I took my first sip,  First I noticed an herbal or floral taste, which almost made me think this might be like an India Pale Ale. After I got past the floral/herbal note I picked up on the Lemon and spice note that is typical for a Saison. There is an interesting spice finish to the brew, it is noticeable as you finish your sip, and the spice note is a cracked pepper taste. The mouthfeel of  Stone Saison is creamy and light with a surprisingly dry finish to the beer.  


This brew was bottled on July 1, 2015, which is on the bottle. 

Overall I think this is a Saison that follows the style and at the same time throws you some curveballs. The aroma makes me think of being out on a farm, which is showing the style of the Saison and the Pepper note does the same in the taste aspect. I think you can also notice the difference with Stone's process compared to others because of their creation of Stone Farms. Locally sourced product adds to the uniqueness of the brew. Some of my favorite beers are the local beers because I know they are locally sourced. Locally sourced means they either grow their own or they got the product from a local farm.  If I found this brew at a local bar, I would ask for it and have a few.  


Make sure you checkout Stone Brewing Company on their Social Media. 







No comments:

Post a Comment