Monday, August 31, 2015

Festina Peche


Festina Peche by Dogfish Head Brewery 

Trying a brew style that is not brewed that often now a days. I am trying this brew from Dogfish Head Brewery, which is located in Delaware. The style I am trying tonight is a Berliner Weissbier. I figure it would be good to explain this style of beer, since I have never actually encountered this style outside of this brew. This style is a top fermented bottle conditioned wheat beer that is brewed with warm fermenting yeast and lactobacillus culture. Reading that and thinking about this brew it makes me think of a sour wheat ale. I am trying Festina Peche, which has an alcohol by volume or ABV of 4.5% and an IBU of 8.


Appearance of Festina Peche

Looking at this Berliner Weissbier, I cannot help but notice the color and the appearance of the beer. The color of the beer is a light pale golden color. I am able to look through the glass, but is still a slight haze about the bier. I would credit that to the fermenting yeast and the lactobacillus in the bier. The aroma is a tart or sour aroma. I am noticing the peach note in the beer as well as the sour aroma. I think that the color and the yeast definitely show off the wheat ale aspect of the beer. Then thinking about the aroma and the color showcase the sour aspect to this brew as well. To me thinking about this beer, so far it is a clash of to brew styles.  

I am curious to see what brew style comes through the most in the taste aspect of this bier. Going in for the first sip, think the sour brew takes over more control, but the wheat ale is still noticeable. I tasted a pronounced tartness and sour aspect to the brew and a nice dry finish. This ale does not linger on the palate. I noticed the peche and light body of the Festina Peche. The sour or tartness is not over powering and still allows this to be an enjoyable brew. I think that because of the light body and the tartness this would be a perfect beer after a long humid day outside, like a Pennsylvania late summer day. I almost wished I was drinking this earlier in the day to quench my thirst after working all day.


Check out Festina Peche 

The other thing that I really enjoy about Festina Peche is that there is a low ABV, so this can turn almost into a session brew that you can enjoy as you work outside in the heat as well.  I think fans of Sour ales and Wheat ales can enjoy this in their own ways. I also think anyone that is looking for a fruit style beer can enjoy this brew as well because of the peach notes and tartness of the Festina Peche. Or people that do not really enjoy the taste of beer, but go more for the Mike's Hard or Twisted Teas could in addition also like this particular beer. It is not too heavy and gives the fruity taste that they are looking for in their alcoholic beverage. Well done, by Dogfish Head trying to tap into every market with this Berliner Weissbier, Festina Peche. This brew is a seasonal beer so make sure you get it while you still can or look for it next summer, to enjoy on a nice hot summer afternoon. 


Check out Dogfish Head Brewery on Twitter and their Website: 


No comments:

Post a Comment