Monday, May 9, 2016

Tartanium (Tr) : Berliner Weisse

Trying to get back into a swing of blogging a couple times a week, so today is going to start getting back into the swing. I am excited to share this brew I have today because we are getting closer to the season of this style of brew. Any particular beer can be enjoyed at any time, but sometimes the best beers are enjoyed at the right time and in the right glass. I recently was recently introduced to a brewery from Colorado that I have never tried because their beer is only available locally.  I ran into a supporter of the brewery in Philadelphia; I was given a brew from the brewery and I figured that I needed to review the beer on here. I am trying a brew from Grist Brewing Company tonight. Grist Brewing Company is located in Highlands Ranch, Colorado. I am really interested in trying my first brew and hopefully one of many to come.  


First, I think that we should talk about Grist Brewing Company.  Grist view on beer is that it should be "Science balanced with Creativity. " To me as a beer drinker that is where you are able to tell the differences in the beers. Science helps create the brews but adding a little creativity is never a bad thing. Science is very important to the brewing process and some people do not know how detailed the science can be. Grist opened in November of 2013, focusing on the classic styles for people stepping into craft beer and then challenging themselves with unique styles like barrel aging/spiced stouts. Grist is focused on innovation, dedication to flavor and quality, and lastly contributing to the community. For example job creation and charitable contributions. They have a 20 barrel brewhouse that holds 4 X 20 barrel fermenters and 1 X 20  barrel brite tank. 





TARTANIUM (Tr) Berliner Weisse by Grist Brewing Company 

Now onto the brew from Grist. The beer is Tartanium (Tr), it is a Berliner Weisse. Berliner Weisse is a style a beer that is top fermented  wheat beer that is made with yeast and lactobacillus, which helps cultivate a sour taste in the brew. I have had this style before, the last Berliner Weisse, I had was Festina Peche by Dogfish Head  Brewery.  I cannot wait to see the similarities or differences in the two beers. Tartanium has an alcohol by volume or ABV of 5.4% and an IBU of 13. A low IBU is normal for a Berliner Weisse because the low presence of hops/bitter notes in the beers. 


Appearance of TARTANIUM (Tr) 

Looking at the appearance all I can think is that it looks like Champagne. There is carbonation in this beer, which is noticeable by the constant bubbles flowing towards the top of the glass. The head or foam of the beer dissipates quickly after I took this picture, because of how quickly it went away it reminded me of  Champagne. The foam was a white and the beer appears to have a straw or pale colored haze to it. The aroma of this beer is enticing me to drink this beer. The aroma I notice was a slightly sour citrus note, almost like a lemon zest or mango tartness.   

I am so ready and eager to try this brew and see what is behind this beer, taste wise. I hope the aroma comes through and is noticeable in the the tasting of the beer. First sip, you definitely notice the sour taste of the beer. There is a tartness that lingers on the tongue for a second or two then it allows the wheat beer to show through. I think the creativity is noticeable in the beer, because having both a sour feel and a wheat beer feel is unique. The sour taste note that I think I am picking up on is a mango tartness. The mouthfeel has a medium carbonation and leaves you with a light body.  


Usually when drinking a Berliner Weisse people will add syrups to the beer to make the sourness of the brew more palatable. I think that is crazy, this style is meant to have a sour taste and if you are not a fan than I think the more for people that do enjoy sours. Now when comparing this brew to Festina Peche by Dogfish Head  Brewery, I would have to say I enjoyed this brew more. I say that because it gave me the sour taste and aroma I was anticipating. As well as, showing the wheat aspect of the brew. The difference between Festina Peche and Tartanium (Tr) is that Tartanium (Tr) has a higher ABV and a higher IBU, which is does not take away from the style of the beer.  

Overall. I think Tartanium (Tr) was a good brew and something I would really enjoy on a hot day at the beach or out mowing the lawn in the middle of summer. I think Grist did a fantastic job representing the style of the Berliner Weisse in Tartamium (Tr). Make sure if you visit Highlands Ranch, Colorado that you give Grist Brewing Company a visit, and make sure you say hello to their bartender Stephanie. 


Check out Tartanium (Tr) by Grist Brewing Company 



Check out Grist Brewing Company on Twitter and their Website: 



Twitter handle:  @Gristbrewingco 







No comments:

Post a Comment