Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Shiner Birthday Beer 107 Hoppy Pilsner


Shiner Birthday Beer 107 Hoppy Pilsner 

Tonight I am trying a beer from a brewery, I have not tried before. I have heard of this brewery before and I know they are very popular in Texas. This brewery has been around since 1909, and is located in Shiner, Texas. Originally the settlers that moved to Shiner, Texas, thought they were going to strike gold. Instead they found water, which they discovered that water made some tasty beer. The brewery was founded by Kosmos Spoetzl, who was born in Bavaria and brought his passion around the world through Egypt then Texas. To this day, they pay homage and have his name on every beer that comes out of the brewery.  Tonight, I am trying their beer, Birthday Beer 107 Hoppy Pilsner.  Birthday Beer 107 Hoppy Pilsner is a German Style Pilsner. This Hoppy Pilsner has an alcohol by volume or ABV of 5.0% and an IBU of 30. Let's see what Shiner Brewery has behind this birthday brew. 




Appearance of Hoppy Pilsner 

Aroma of this brew is very pungent and lingers around after you take your first smell. I picked up on a hop forward aroma, which is common for a German Style Pilsner. There is a subtle citrus note in the aroma that comes through after the hop forward note. The other interesting aroma is one that kind of smells like soap, which I cannot put my finger on. The appearance of this Hoppy Pilsner is taking on the typical appearance of a German Pilsner. There is a golden hue or straw hue to the appearance of this brew. There is a thin layer of white foam or head to this beer that stays around leaves some lacing around the edge of the glass. The beer is pale and not cloudy or hazy.

Time to see what the taste backbone of this beer is like. I am curious based off of the aroma, I am not to eager to try this because the bitter notes. Let's see what the first sip is like. All I can think of before taking my first sip is the aroma and how overpowering it is. Almost makes me not want to try this beer, because it's not up my ally of beers. But I already poured it and I do not waste beer. You never know the aroma might be misleading and not be followed by the same notes in the taste. I committed and found out that the notes did align. I noticed the spice note of the German Style Pilsners and was surprised by that note being one of the first profile, I noticed. The second and more overpowering was the bitter note. To think more about the style of beer, the Saaz Hop is one hop that would provide both spice and bitter notes to the beer drinker. Those two notes linger on the taste buds. The body of this beer is medium and is refreshingly crisp. 




Check out Shiner Birthday Beer Hoppy Pilsner


If you are a fan of the Pilsner style, Czech or German, you should check this beer out. I think this beer was a good beer, but a little to hop forward for my taste. I think that if you enjoy bitter hop notes than you would enjoy this brew immensely. Anyone that is a fan of India Pale Ales or Pale Ales in general, should check this out. I enjoy Pilsners, but the addition of the bitter and spice notes were too much for me. I did enjoy it and I enjoyed learning more about Shiner Brewery. I think the more and more people try beers outside their norm, the more the begin to figure what the do and do not like in particular styles. For example, I love the peppery spice note in a Saison or Farmhouse Ale, but I think it might be too much for a Pilsner. I am looking forward to trying more from Shiner Brewery and maybe hopefully visit the brewery someday. 


Check out Shier Brewery on Twitter and their Website:











No comments:

Post a Comment