Friday, June 5, 2015

Beer Tasting

Last night, I went to a Philadelphia Beer Week event that was hosted in my town. It was ran by Gretz Beer Company and they had different beers that they distribute on tap at every bar in Doylestown, Pennsylvania. I went out to support my friend and hang out with his family as we went to different bars. I really enjoyed going out meeting a bunch of beer representatives and talking to them about beer and what their favorite beer was. I sampled a few of the beers that were on tap around doylestown and below are the ones I tried. 



The different beers available at this one bar. 


Scratch # 188, Belgian Style Saison by Troegs Brewing Company 

Kronenbourg Blanc, Witbier by Brasseries Kronenbourg 

Sunseeker Wheat,  American Pale Wheat Ale by Fordham Brewing Company 

Big Wave, Golden Ale by Kona Brewing Company 

Apricot Wheat by Ithaca Brewing Company 


Here are some of my thoughts on the beers from last night: 


Scratch #188 was probably my favorite of the night because it was smooth and refreshing. I really enjoyed the first sip that was sweet but then followed with subtle pepper spiciness. Citrus Aroma enticed me to take the a sip, which I did not end up regretting. I thoroughly enjoyed the light to medium body of the Saison and hope to have it again sometime soon. Great job Troegs on creating a tasty Saison.  The ABV of this beer is  7.2 % and has a IBU of 25. If you want to try to find this beer you might want to visit Troegs in Hershey, Pennsylvania. 


Scratch #188 Saison 

Kronenbourg Blanc was a delicious Witbier that I am glad I tried for the first time last night. I had a friend that was a big fan of this beer and now I can tell him that I really enjoyed this beer. The ABV on Blanc is 5.0% and the IBU is 15. Banc is a French beer, and I was 


Head of Blanc


Kronenbourg Blanc 


Next beer I tried for the first time was Sunseeker Wheat by Fordham Brewing Company. This brewery is located in Dover, Delaware and housed with Old Dominion Brewing Company. Sunseeker is an unfiltered wheat that is quite tasty and  enjoyable. This wheat has and ABV of 5.0% and an IBU of 11. Always good to try different breweries take on your favorite style of beer. I was intrigued by their take on the wheat beer and I am excited to try other beers from this brewery. 


Head of Sunseeker Wheat



Cool Mason Jar glass for Sunseeker 

Kona Big Wave was something I have had before out of the beers I sampled last night. Still just as enjoyable as the first time I had this beer. Kona Brewing Company is from Kailua Kona, Hawaii. This was probably my second favorite of the night because it is just so smooth and refreshing. The ABV of Big Wave is 4.4% and the IBU is 21. Most of the beers we had last night were all around five percent ABV, which did not get you into too much trouble alcohol content wise.  



Kona Big Wave in a Kona Glass 

To finish the night I think I finished with Apricot Wheat by Ithaca Brewing Company. I could not tell you because I was asked if I wanted a beer and I said sure, but surprise me. Did I sure end up being surprised. This beer in my opinion is a good beer, just has a little too much apricot taste for my liking. My favorite by Ithaca Brewing Company is their Country Pumpkin and I cannot wait until fall to have it again. Ithaca Brewing is located in Ithaca, New York.  


Apricot Wheat by Ithaca Brewing Company 

In the end I had a great time sampling different beers from Gretz Beer Company and if your get the chance visit them in Hatfield, Pennsylvania. Thanks Dane, I am glad I came out and tried some new beers. I will make sure I step out of me beer comfort zone more often to try new beers. 






No comments:

Post a Comment