Thursday, June 18, 2015

Maggie's Peach Farmhouse Ale


Maggie's Peach Farmhouse Ale by Terrapin Beer Company 

Trying a new beer from down South. This is a brewing company that I have looking to try recently and have not been able to find their brews. I have been looking for beers from Terrapin Beer Company for a while now and finally found a brew that I can try. Terrapin Beer Company is located in Athens, Georgia. One of the followers of this blog, Matt, is a big fan of Terrapin Beer and I am glad that I can say I have tried one of their beers. Terrapin Beer was founded in 2002 and was named one of the top twenty five craft breweries in the United States, according to complex.com. The beer that I am trying tonight is Maggie's Peach Farmhouse Ale. Maggie's has an alcohol by volume or ABV of 5.3% and an IBU of 22. Now when talking about this brew some of you that have had Terrapin Beer before might know of Side Project Volume 7, which according to Terrapin is Maggie's older sister. In other words Side Project Volume 7 was Terrapin's foray into this style and Maggie is where they worked all the kinks out. Another interesting fact about Farmhouse Ale is that this style of beer is brewed and meant to stored/condition for a couple months. Usually this style of beer is brewed in the winter and released in the spring or summer months to allow the beers to succumb to the right conditions.   



Artwork on the can


Appearance of Maggie's Peach Farmhouse Ale 

The aroma that I pick up from Maggie's is one of peach and spices. There is a subtle hint of apricot that I smell as well. In this brew they used 1000 pounds of peaches for 100 barrel batch, which really comes out in the aroma of the beer. The appearance of this farmhouse ale is one that has a pale golden hue that almost looks like a light beer. The head or foam of the brew is white and quickly dissipates after it is poured out of the can. This is a refreshing twist on farmhouse ales and an interesting take on a brewery incorporating something Georgia is known for: Peaches. Now to find out about the taste of this delightful aroma brew. Thinking about tasting this brew I cannot help but think there will be a peach taste to this ale. Let's see, if I am right or if there is a slightly different taste that I pick up in this brew. 


Peachy Keen Maggie's Peach Farmhouse Ale


The initial sip that I took I tasted more of a spiced taste that finished with a peachy taste. After taking a few more sips to try to pinpoint the taste, I think that the finish is definitely a peach finish to this brew. The initial taste is a little harder to precisely say. I think that in the beginning, there is a mild malt taste that has a hop twist to it. After that malt forwardness, there is a short spiced taste to this beer almost like cinnamon. In terms of mouthfeel, this brew has a medium body and crisp taste. Maggie's Peach Farmhouse Ale is a summer seasonal beer, so if you are looking for a different twist on a Farmhouse Ale this might be your style of beer. In terms of what I thought, I think this is a crisp refreshing beer that I wish had a little more of a Farmhouse style taste. This is a very enjoyable beer and I think that if I had the chance, I would grab some for the beach. I look forward to trying more brews from Terrapin Beer Company and Matt let me know, which ones I might want to try next. 





No comments:

Post a Comment