Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Tarte Nouveau Session Sour

I have been trying to explore the world of beers and many readers have been suggesting certain styles I should look into. The style that I am having tonight is a Sour style beer. Sour beer is very unique and different than normal beers. Typically when brewing beer you want to brew in a sterile environment and you want to make sure their is no possible intrusion of wild yeast into the beer. Unlike when you are trying to brew a sour beer, you want to purposely use wild yeast and bacteria to brew the beer. The nature of this beer style is to let nature take its course to brew the beer. Generally brewers want the beer to be a certain way to take out the unpredictability out of the equation, but with this style you welcome the unpredictability. I bet you are wondering what beer I am going to be trying as my first sour beer and that is: Tarte Nouveau Session Sour by Weyerbacher Brewing Company. This particular beer is a American Wild Ale, which is listed under the category of Sour Beers. 


Tarte Nouveau Session Sour by Weyerbacher Brewing Company 

Weyerbacher Brewing Company is located in Easton, PA. I have had beers by them before and have not had a bad beer by them. I was curious to see what their Sour beer would taste like. Tarte Nouveau is a kettled-sour and has a ABV or alcohol by volume of 3.9%. The IBU on Tarte Nouveau is 7. Weyerbacher uses lactobacillus in the brewing process to make it a sour beer. Lactobacillus has some other uses such as anti-inflammatories and helping in the process of yogurt/cheese. Now onto this particular beer. 


Straw like appearance to Tarte Nouveau

To me, the appearance of Tarte Nouveau, the Sour looks straw colored and almost resembles the appearance of a Pilsner. There is a yellow and brown tint to this beer, which makes me this of straw like appearance. Now the smell or aroma of this beer is gonna be interesting to pin point. I think that the aroma that I pick up on is a tart aroma with a blend of green apples and a funky earthy tone to the Sour. The aroma from this beer is complex and is not simply just one smell, cut and dry. I am eager to sample this style of beer, which I have never had. The taste is gonna be interesting and I am excited to try it for the first time to see if I like this beer or if I do not. I am intrigued by this beer because the taste is something that I could enjoy and grow to like more. I felt like I was drinking some Granny Smith Green Apples in this beer. It was like I was hit with that sour tart taste of the Green Apples. There is an interesting finish to this beer, which is a smooth finish, but has the taste of lemon citrus in the finish. I think the lemon citrus cuts down on the tartness in the end. 

I think in the end, I can say that I might have to try some more Sour style beers to truly get a sense if I really like this style of beer. Tarte Nouveau was really drinkable and almost reminded me of a cider in a sense. The low ABV of 3.9 %, makes this a beer that is very good and can easily be enjoyed all day. I am glad that I gave this beer a chance and I can thank Brice, for suggesting this style of beer to me. Hopefully I can try more Sour style beers in the near future. 


Next time your out try Tarte Nouveau 

No comments:

Post a Comment