Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Whirlwind Witbier

I was thinking tonight, I would try a local beer that is one from my cousin's favorite breweries. The local brewery in question is Victory Brewing Company. The beer that I am trying for the first time Whirlwind Witbier. If you have been following my blog, you have seen that I have a fondness for Witbiers or White Ales. If not I will let you know that I like Witbiers and enjoy them very much. Usually when considered a Witbier, you brew with 50% unmalted wheat and mix it with pilsner malt. Additionally Witbiers are typically unfiltered allowing the wheat to contribute to the color of the beer. This creates a white 'milky' hue, which the beer gains it name from. Back to the brewery and the beer,  I say.  Victory Brewing Company is located in Downingtown, Pennsylvania in relations to me thats about an hour away. Whirlwind is one of their seasonal brews for the summer months. This Witbier by Victory has an alcohol by volume or ABV of 5.1% and an IBU of 15. 


Whirlwind Witbier an Belgian Style White Ale by Victory Brewing Company 


Time to dive into examining this beer and trying to figure out if this is a brew for me to enjoy. In examining the appearance of the beer, I noticed that there is a cloudiness to the beer. The color of the beer that I notice is a pale yellow tint to the beer. It is as if white and yellow blended together to create the color of this Witbier. 


Cloudy appearance of Whirlwind 

The aroma that I pick up when trying to smell this beer is a citrus or coriander aroma. There is a subtle banana aroma in this beer as well. In a sense it almost reminds me of Allagash White or Avery White. I am curious to see what this beer taste likes after trying to pick out the aromas in the beer. Hopefully, in terms of beer it does not have a strong coriander taste to the beer, that is one thing that I cannot stand in a beer. The taste of this beer is very complex and hard to pin-point. At first I thought I tasted coriander and spices, which had a lemon finish to sip. Then again I took another sip, I found orange and wheat mix in the next sip that ended with a lemon finish. Both are logical tastes to pick up in the beer, but if I had to choose one to fully describe this beer it the first one with the coriander taste.  I will say typically having a coriander taste in the beer will end the beer for me, but I am not opposed to the way Victory brewed this tasty beer. The body of the beer is light like a typical white beer should be.  


Summer's around the corner and try Whirlwind by Victory Brewing Company

This was a very tasty brew that I thoroughly enjoyed. I think that Victory did a fantastic job with this beer. If you are looking for a different twist on a summer beer, why not give Whirlwind a try I know I will give it a chance. I know my cousin Gina would be happy that I enjoyed this beer. If you are ever in the Philadelphia area, make sure you visit this brewery and try some of their beers. 
  




No comments:

Post a Comment