Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Sweet Action


Sixpoint Sweet Action Ale

Since today is National Beer Day, I figured having a beer blog that I should have a beer or two today. The first one I am writing about is Sixpoint Breweries Sweet Action Ale. Sweet Action is a Cream Ale and has a ABV or alcohol by volume of  5.2 %. A Cream Ale is brewed in the same way as a standard lager, but the malt used in the beer is a pale malt to add to the low bitterness and refreshing taste. Brewers came up with the Cream Ale so that more people could enjoy a light pale ale, while also being able to appeal to the masses that drink beer. Usually when people drink beers you are thought of in two types, in my opinion, people who like hops and people that do not. I think Cream Ales are designed to target both groups and allows the people who like hops to enjoy a refreshing beer. The IBU or bitterness of Sweet Action is 34. Sixpoint Brewery is located in Brooklyn, New York. Alright time to move on to trying this beer and seeing if I like Sweet Action. 



Glimpse of Sweet Action Ale 

First thing I noticed when I poured out Sweet Action was the color of the beer it reminded me of a lager and I was intrigued. I have had a Sixpoint beer before and it was Bengali, so I figured it was time to try another beer by them. The color I would describe this beer as is golden brown or a light brown. The aroma I picked up from this beer was a bitter one but not too bitter, which came from the pale malt they used in the beer. In addition to the bitter smell I picked up faintly on a citrus aroma to the beer. Now time to dive in for a sip of this beer on National Beer Day. First sip I tasted was a bitter one and this beer reminds me of an IPA, which makes sense because of the pale malt used in brewing this beer. This beer is smooth but the bitter aftertaste makes me not a fan of this beer. I think that this beer is more like an Amber Ale that has the hop taste than it is more like a lager. This Cream Ale did not get me to like the hop taste in the beer. I will say that while drinking this beer it was on the lighter said and made me not hate the beer as much as I would have if had a thick IPA taste. I would drink this beer again, but I would only have maybe one or two, personally I would not buy a six pack myself. 


Sweet Action ALE 

I think that Sixpoint did a great job brewing this beer and made it lighter than most hop tasting beers. If I knew someone that liked hops and ales together like IPA's I would make sure I got them this beer. I do not hate this beer but I know that right now I am one of those beer drinkers that does not like hops and if you can hide the hops in the beer than I like it. But this beer had a bitter taste from the beginning and I think that I need to try to expand on my beer tastes to see if I like beers like this in the future. Anyone that likes hops should try this beer and as well as other Sixpoint beers like Bengali and Resin. This is a year round brew, so if you want to try it go to your local beer six pack place or distributor and give this beer a shot. 


No comments:

Post a Comment