Monday, June 27, 2016

What The Butler Saw


Forgotten Boardwalk Brewing Company 'What The Butler Saw'
Undressed Wit 


Today I am trying a brew from New Jersey. As I look forward to Fourth of July, I cannot help but thinking about the Jersey Shore where I spend it and the boardwalks we stroll up and down. Everyone has their stories that the remember and try to relive or not forget. For me that is all the fun times I have had at the beach with family and friends. That is the mindset, as I try a brew from the brewing company I am trying today. I am trying a brew from Forgotten Boardwalk Brewing Company. "Each beer will tell an old forgotten story that took place around the boardwalk. I think it is especially fun to, not only have a great beverage, but to have a consumer learn of an old tale." Easy to see why I might be nostalgic and reminiscent. That is the vision of the brewing company as well, which is a vision that gets people talking about the beer or beers they have enjoyed. The owner Jamie, is someone who enjoys beer and started off as a beer enthusiast like myself and turned her passion into creating brews. The more and more I look at the can, I cannot help but think about the can and the story about What the Butler Saw/The Cat. 



Story about this brew


First, let's talk about 'What the Butler Saw'. Tuck away in a dark confines of the boardwalk during the turn of the century were mutoscopes. Inside one was a silent slideshow featuring a voyeuristic butler looking through a keyhole, The film What the Butler Saw, let you privately take a peep while standing in plain sight. That describes the picture on the back of the can that you notice. Next time to talk about the cat logo, which I bet you didn't know had a tie into the boardwalk. According to the Forgotten Boardwalk website: 'Unbeknownst to most: The feral cat is the sideshow attraction and mascot to the boardwalk. No one quite knows exactly when the undomesticated felines made their homes under the piers, but most say it happened when the boardwalk was first built back in the 1880s. The reason? Some say it is due to the scraps of food dropped by tourists that slip through the cracks of the planks.' 


Growler the cat and the front of the can 


Time to focus on this Undressed Wit I am trying today. What The Butler Saw is an Undressed Wit; it has an alcohol by volume or ABV of 5.% and an IBU of 18.  Forgotten Boardwalk Brewing Company is located in Cherry Hill, New Jersey. They took over a space vacated by Flying Fish Brewing Company. 

The appearance of What the Butler Saw, is typical of a Witbeer. There is a cloudy haziness to this brew and decent amount of carbonation. This Undressed Wit has a golden appearance to it, which is typical for a Wit. When you look at this beer there is a nice head or foam retention at the top of the brew. The head of the brew leaves a thin layer at the top of the beer. Now time to look at the aroma of this Wit. I noticed right away a citrus aroma coming from this brew. I think it is a blend between orange and lemon zest. After the citrus notes, I did begin to pick up on the spice aroma that was paired with the zest notes of the citrus combo. The spice note I believe to pick up on is a clove or coriander note. Both are usually used with a Witbeer or Belgian brews. 


Appearance of What the Butler Saw


Let's see if the taste follows the aroma or goes off and does it's own thing. The first taste note I picked up on was the spice note followed by a citrus note that blends together. I think the spice note is a more noticeable note in the taste and one that lingers on the tastebuds. In addition to the citrus and spice note there is subtle apple note in the taste of this brew. The body of this beer is light and is crisp with a dry finish. This is a refreshing brew that you can enjoy on a hot summer day, I think the unfiltered helps this be a crisp brew. I think the Undressed Wit, notion is fitting because this is not a normal Witbeer and plays with twists on the Wit style beers. I think it might be a little too much spice note based but it is still a delicious brew. 



If you are into Witbiers and want to see a brewery add their own take on Wits, then you should check out this Wit brew by Forgotten Boardwalk Brewing Company. This brew made me think about the Wit style and what I enjoy most about it. If you are around the Cherry Hill area you should check out this brewing company and their brews. This is one of their year round brews and they do have varieties of it with different takes on it. 



Check out Forgotten Boardwalk Brewing Company on Social Media:

Facebook

Instagram

Tweet @ForgottenBoards

Forgotten Boardwalk Brewing Company






No comments:

Post a Comment