Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Beer Week

Recently Philadelphia area celebrated Philly Beer Week. It's an amazing time and bars and beer gardens all around Philadelphia, PA, host specific breweries and do tap takeovers. A beer drinkers perfect week. There are a variety of breweries that come and take part in Philly Beer Week, sometimes hosting their own event to draw people to sample their brews. Deschutes hosted a Street Pub. Yards hosted a pinewood derby and Goose Island hosted a block party. It's a celebration of beers and perfect for a beer enthusiast like myself. I attend a local event near me, in Doylestown, PA, which was hosted by Gretz Beer Company. This Beer Week event happened on June 9th, 2016. It was a chance to sample some different brews from breweries they distribute for. There was 11 different breweries showcased at 12 different bars. For me this is like being a kid in a candy store. Some of the breweries that were being showcased, I had not sampled brews from them before and this was the perfect night to try and sample them. Each bar in Doylestown had a different brewery there to showcase some brews of theirs. 


During this post I will talk about each bar I went to and which brews I sampled, whilst I was there.  I did sample a few brews, but I was also made sure that I could drive home and enjoy the night. 

First bar, I visited during the event was Station Tap House. Where there was a battle between V States. Star Hill Brewery took on Long Trail Brewing Company to see, which state with the letter V had a better brewery. State of Virginia took on the State of Vermont, I was very interested to see, who came out on top. I had one of the beers from Long Trail before, so I figured I would try the brew from Starr Hill. The brew from Long Trail was Mostly Cloudy, which is a Belgian Witbier. Mostly Cloudy has an ABV or alcohol by volume of 4.7%  and an IBU of 12. The brew I sampled from Starr Hill was The Hook, which is a Grapefruit Session IPA. The Hook has an ABV of 4.9 and an IBU of 39. To me, the session IPA by Starr Hill gave me all the India Pale Ale profile without the high ABV. If someone who really enjoys IPA's, this was a beer that you could drink throughout your day and still be functioning in what you are trying to accomplish. For beer drinkers terms, this beer is crushable. Starr Hill is located in Charlottesville, Virginia and Long Trail is located in Bridgewater Corners, Vermont. 



Starr Hill The Hook Grapefruit Session IPA


Next, I visited 86 West. The brewery at 86 West was Kona Brewing Company. I have had their brews before. Kona Big Wave was one of the brews on tap. As was Castaway IPA. Kona Big Wave has an ABV of 4.4% and an IBU of 21. I think this one has to be one of the favorites of my night. This Golden Ale is delicious and something I enjoy when I get my hands on it. Castaway IPA has an ABV of 60 and an IBU of 50. I have not tried this brew from Kona. Kona Brewing Company is located in Kona, Hawaii 


After 86 West, I visited Penn Taproom. I got to sample a brew from Goose Island that I had never had before. The brews on tap here were Goose Island IPA, Four Star Pils, and Bee Squad. As well as a brew from 10 Barrel Brewing Company. 10 Barrel had their Riding Solo Pale Ale on tap. I did not try the Riding Solo, but I did try the Bee Squad brew from Goose Island. Goose Island is located in Chicago, Illinois and 10 Barrel Brewing is located in Bend, Oregon,  Bee Squad is a Saison from Goose Island has an ABV of 8.2%. This is a brew that was just brewed and is something you should look out for and try for yourself. It had a nice sweet honey taste, but still gave you the spice note in the Saison or Farmhouse ale you are looking for. Bee Squad had a nice dry finish and was something I thoroughly enjoyed. I think this was my favorite of the night. 


Goose Island Bee Squad 


Next was Pags Pub, where Victory was located. Victory had Summer Love and Hop Devil on Tap. There was Prima Pils as well. Jamie the Victory Beer Representative was passing out Victory gear, which was anyone who had Victory got a free beer glass. In the beer glass, the were Victory Summer Love Sun Glasses and a Victory sticker. I am looking forward to making a trip to Victory and sampling a few brews that I have yet to try. Summer Love is a awesome summer pale ale that is light and easy to drink. I think Summer Love is something people look forward to every summer because they know it's a great Summer brew. I will say that I do have Victory Summer Love and Victory Kirsch Gose waiting in my next six pack to sample and do my review on them. 


Second to last of the night was M.O.M.S, which is Maxwell's on Main Street. MOMS had Fat Head's Brewery on tap. I sampled two of their brews. I started with the Sunshine Daydreams, which is a Session Ale has an ABV of  4.9% and an IBU of 60. Next I sampled, Benjamin Danklin, which has an ABV of 7.5 %  and is only brewed for Philly Beer Week. I really enjoyed talking with Geoff and Justin, who were the showing me the brews from Fat Head's and talking about beer with me. I enjoyed talking IPA's with Geoff and  how I should look at IPA's. MOMS also had Zeus Juice and Jack Straw on tap from Fat Head's. Fat Head's is located in Middleburg Heights, Ohio.  

Last place I visited on last thursday was Chambers. Chambers had many different brews on tap, but the main brewery was Troegs. Troegs is located in Hershey, Pennsylvania. At this point in the night, I was not sampling, but more showing support for the brewery. I wanted to make sure I was able to drive home. Chambers was the last meetup point for all the beer reps. After a long night of talking about beer and sharing beers, at this point it was to enjoy the night. It was a celebration of having a great night and an end to Philly Beer Week.  


Tap List From Chambers 


End to a great night. 


I think it was a great idea to showcase different brews at different locations all throughout Doylestown. It got people that might not know beer a chance to sample different craft beers, and that is what Philly Beer Week is all about. Thanks Gretz Beer Company for putting together this event and allowing me to tag along. 




    






No comments:

Post a Comment