Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Oktoberfest


Oktoberfest by Left Hand Brewing Company 


Now we are heading into two beer seasons, Oktoberfest beers and Pumpkin beers. The beer I am trying tonight is an Oktoberfest brew. This style of beers were brewed in the spring usually and then stored cold, so they would not succumb to bacteria and become spoiled. I am trying an Oktoberfest from Left Hand Brewing Company. This is the second beer from them I have tried on the blog, first was their Milk Stout. Left Hand is located in Longmont, Colorado. Oktoberfest has an alcohol by volume or ABV of 6.6% and an IBU of 24. One thing that I thought was really cool about this brew was the artwork on the bottle. The tiger and the detail they put in on the label you can tell they worked hard on this label. 


Appearance of Oktoberfest 

When I look at this beer I notice the amber or copper tint to the beer. I also notice that this beer is clear and not too dark to be able to see through it. The foam or head at the top of the beer color wise looks tan. The head or foam quickly dissipates after being poured. Aroma of this beer is similar to most Oktoberfest brews. I pick up on a yeast note and a caramel/malt presences. The yeast aroma makes me think of an earthy aroma. I think the caramel or malt presence is more like the Oktoberfest brews aroma's and ends up overtaking the yeast aroma. After trying to pick up on the aroma of this beer I am really interested in trying Left Hand Brewing's take on an Oktoberfest. Most people when they hear of Oktoberfest beers they think of Sam Adam's, but in fact most craft breweries I think do a better job at the Marzen Lager style than the Macro's. 

Taste is where you pick up the true essence of the Oktoberfest in my opinion, if you have had Oktoberfest brews before, you know I am right. Looking at an Oktoberfest taste you are looking for a few things and I want to see if Left Hand, hits them. Toasty is one of them, full body is another and last I would say is the blend of hop/malt. Took my first sip and I could notice all three things I just noted. There is a toasted taste or a malt presence as well as a full body backbone to this brew. The first thing that I would say I noticed in tasting this brew was the sweet caramel taste or the malt presences. Secondly, I would say that there is a spice or yeast note that follows the sweet taste. Lastly, I would say that you finish off with a mild hop note that is not overpowering. There is slight carbonation to the Oktoberfest and the mouthfeel is thick and rich. Left Hand made this Oktoberfest very enjoyable and something I will look for every year now. 


Check out Left Hand Brewing OKTOBERFEST

This brew is a seasonal beer from Left Hand Brewing Company and something, I think that you should look for every time fall comes around. I really enjoyed this Oktoberfest and I hope to try more like this beer. Left Hand Brewing Company did a great job pulling in all the factors of a great Oktoberfest and added a hop note that went along with the style. I think that anyone that enjoys an Oktoberfest should put this atop their list. In addition, anyone that likes a hop presences in their brews, should check this beer out as well. 


Check out Left Hand Brewing Company's Website and Twitter: 





No comments:

Post a Comment