Wednesday, October 28, 2015

The Devil's Pumpkin Ale


The Devil's Pumpkin Ale by Lavery Brewing Company 


Trying a brew from Erie, Pennsylvania tonight. The interesting part about this brewery is that the name of the brewery is like my Aunt and Uncle's last name and pronounced the same way as they do. I figured that I needed to try this beer and checkout some beers by them. Lavery Brewing Company is the brewery that I am trying a beer from tonight. They were founded in 2009 and are in downtown Erie, PA. Make sure that you say the name right because people usually say it wrong. "It's 'Lav-ry' not 'Lav-ery'." Lavery Brewing Company, much like America – they blend flavors and traditions to bring you some truly innovative ales. Their beers span styles and stereotypes to create something distinctly remarkable. If you look on their bottles it says BREWING INNOVATIVE ALES IN SMALL BATCHES. The beer I am trying tonight is The Devil's Pumpkin Ale. Devil's Pumpkin Ale has an alcohol by volume or ABV of 6.5% and an IBU of 26. I am excited and eager to see what The Devil's Pumpkin Ale has in store for me.



Appearance of The Devil's Pumpkin Ale 

The appearance of Devil's Pumpkin Ale has a sweet dark appearance to this brew. When I look at this brew I think of a dark Halloween night and Jack-O-Lanterns. The color of The Devil's Pumpkin is a dark amber brown appearance to the beer. In addition to the appearance the beer is not thick and cloudy, the color just does not allow much light to pass through it. The color/appearance is similar to most pumpkin ales out there. Aroma of this brew is interesting and my nose is following a variety of aromas. First thing I noticed was the malt backbone of the beer, by that I mean a sweet malt aroma is the first aroma I picked up on. Second, I pick up on are the spices. I notice the clove that you would use with pumpkin and a nutmeg as well. There is a subtle hint of Pumpkin in the aroma of this brew, but it is faint and not too overpowering. Foam or head of Devil's Pumpkin Ale starts with a thin layer at the top and quickly dissipates leaving me to think this might be a unfiltered brew. 


Taste is where the good pumpkin brews separate themselves from the rest of the pack, in my opinion. First thing I noticed was the mouthfeel and the malt presences in this brew. Mouthfeel of this beer is like an unfiltered beer and I notice the spice notes played with the mouthfeel of this brew. I also think that another thing you pick up on right away is the malt backbone of this brew. There is a sweet taste to this beer, which is not too sweet like other pumpkin brews tend to be. I think the thing I kind of notice the most is the fruity taste in the beer that is pleasantly delicious and makes this brew an awesome brew. The beer is smooth and can be drank rather quickly because of how smooth the beer is. 


Tango with this Devil's Pumpkin Ale by Lavery Brewing Company


Overall I think this is a great brew and I would put this Pumpkin Ale in my top 5 Pumpkin Brews. I do not think there is a bad thing I can say about this beer. I really enjoy it and find nothing wrong with the brew. I think that anyone who enjoys Pumpkin brews should try this and check out more brews like this. Some might think this brew could be too sweet, but I think that goes well with the approach of the brew and is not too sweet.


Check out Lavery Brewing Company on their website and their Twitter: 











No comments:

Post a Comment