Monday, October 5, 2015

UFO Pumpkin


UFO PUMPKIN by Harpoon Brewery 

Trying my third brew from Harpoon Unfiltered Series. So far, I have tried UFO White and UFO Big Squeeze. The third beer I am trying is UFO Pumpkin. Harpoon is located in Boston, Massachusetts. Trying the two before has made me what to try their unfiltered pumpkin brew because I liked the ones before and I am a huge pumpkin beer fan. UFO Pumpkin has an alcohol by volume or ABV of 5.9% and an IBU of 20. Altogether the UFO series has six different beers in the set. I can say after this beer, I am halfway through the UFO beer series. Harpoon was created in 1986 and recently in 2014, became an employee owned company. I think they have an awesome slogan at the bottom of their website "Love Beer. Love Life. Harpoon", with that slogan I think most can agree with the first two parts and maybe the latter. 


Appearance of UFO Pumpkin 


When looking at UFO Pumpkin, I think I am looking at a pumpkin. Color wise this beer color appearance resembles the color of a Pumpkin Pie. I look at UFO Pumpkin and see a deep burnt orange color that has a hazy appearance. The foam or head is white and lingers around to help enhance the flavor of the beer for the drinker. The head of the beer is thin, but has staying power. Aroma wise this beer is like most Pumpkin Ales, you get the spices of: Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Cloves. I think the unfiltered approach to this beer enhances them and make me really think of a pumpkin pie or pumpkin cookies. There is a subtle malt note that I picked up in the aroma, but it blends in with the Pumpkin and the spices.  

Now let's check out the taste of this brew and how the unfiltered approach changes the beer, if it does at all? Taking my first sip, I enjoyed this light bodied brew and really enjoyed how smooth UFO Pumpkin was. I notice the pumpkin flavor first then got hit with a spice note. I think the unfiltered approach to UFO Pumpkin actually helped settle the too sweet or too spice debate for pumpkin beers. The unfiltered approach in my opinion helped the sweetness and the spices to mellow out, just like baking a pumpkin pie would do. UFO Pumpkin is a brew I could drink all night and not have a problem with it, especially as we head towards Halloween and Thanksgiving. 


Make sure you check out UFO PUMPKIN and the UFO Series of Harpoon. 

I have had some great pumpkin beers recently and I am glad that has been the case. Because I have had some really bad ones, and I am glad breweries are doing a better job at them. UFO Pumpkin is one of those good Pumpkin Ales and I think the fact that it is unfiltered can appeal to many different beer drinkers. Anyone who likes a good unfiltered ale can really enjoy this beer as well as someone who really enjoys pumpkin. This is a seasonal brew from Harpoon so get it while you can, I know I might be going to get a case of this. I do enjoy that Harpoon also became a Employee owned Brewery, that is similar to New Belgium and I want to see more breweries do this instead of pairing with the Macro Breweries. 

Checkout Harpoon's Website and Twitter: 





No comments:

Post a Comment