Monday, August 22, 2016

Jammer


Jammer Sixpoint Brewery


I have been trying to explore more about particular styles of brews I like and so far recently I have been trying to figure out the Gose. I am trying another Gose brew tonight. Tonight I am trying a brew from a brewery that I have sampled a beer from before and I am eager to see what their take on the Gose style is. If you look back in history, some might say that New York was the epicenter of beer. Immigrants from European countries came over and came through the Ellis Island into the United States. Germans, Irish, and other immigrants passed through New York imprinting their cultures on the city. Passing their knowledge of beer onto others and bringing their concept of beer into the country. Tonight I am trying a brew from a brewing company that is from New York. Sixpoint Brewery is where I am trying tonight's beer from. The beer I am trying is called Jammer, it is a Gose Style brew with an alcohol by volume or ABV of 4% and IBU or bitterness of 16. 

Here is a little about Sixpoint Brewery. Sixpoint Brewery was founded in 2004, some think Sixpoint started at the dawn of Civilization. "The original creations of Sixpoint Craft Ales were a mash-up of professional brewing experiences, global brewery influences, and unbridled homebrew proliferation." I was curious about the symbol for the brewery, which is a Sixpoint Brewer's Star. "The star symbolized the purity of the craft, and folklore claims the six individual points  each represent six different critical elements of the craft itself: grain, water, hops, yeast, malt, and the brewer." Sixpoint Brewery is located in Brooklyn, New York. Beer is Culture, is their slogan and it shows off in their brews. 



Explanation of the five pointed Star 


How the Sixpoint Star is comprised


Now back to our regular scheduled beer review of Jammer. Aroma wise for this brew, I notice the tartness aroma right away. There is a slight citrus aroma that is noticeable after the tartness aroma. The last thing that I noticed in the aroma was a floral/spiced based aroma. The coriander is noticeable in the aroma as the last item you notice. Appearance of Jammer is like most Gose. Jammer has a pale golden hue about it. The head or foam after you pour quickly dissipates and then leaves a lingering trace of foam on top. There is a slightly noticeable lacing on the side of the glass.  


Appearance of Jammer


Let's explore the taste notes for a little. First thing, I noticed was a light taste that fed into the tartness and sourness of the Gose. I am trying to figure out what taste note I notice after the initial tartness, but right away it eludes me. The more and more I drink it, I think of it as a mild hop note that is subdued. The subdued hop note gives way to the coriander and a salty finish. Mouthfeel wise this brew has a light body and a decent carbonation for the style. For being a Gose, the sea salt is not as noticeable as you might like for this style. 


Jammer by Sixpoint Brewery in New York

Overall, I think this is a decent brew. It is a little lighter than what I would have wanted or expected. If you are interested in exploring the Gose style, this is a brew for you to start out with. If you like Sours or Gose, this might not be what you are expecting. Each brewery has there own take on the beer styles and this is a good starter, Gose. 

Check out Sixpoint Brewery on their website and their Social Media: 












No comments:

Post a Comment